Saturday, March 19, 2011

Halle Berry, Personal life.

Berry has been married twice. Berry began a relationship with Atlanta Braves baseball player, David Justice. Their whirlwind courtship began in 1992 and ended when Berry proposed to him, and the couple were married on New Year's Day in 1993. She told Ebony in 1994 that Justice was her "soulmate, my rock, my prince on a white horse." Compared to the other men Berry had been involved with, Justice was Prince Charming. One of her ex-boyfriends sued her and sold his story to a national tabloid newspaper. Another ex hit her in the ear so hard she lost 80 percent of her hearing in that ear.
The couple were likened to another famous couple, Marilyn Monroe and Joe Dimaggio. And like them, the marriage ended in divorce. Just a couple of months after celebrating their third anniversary, Justice asked for a divorce. It devastated Berry. She told Ebony in 1997: "I was numb for probably two months. I was walking around in a daze. I didn't know how to function. I would wake up in the middle of the night and think this is just a bad dream. I kept saying, 'No, this isn't really real. David's just on a road trip.'"
The couple found it difficult to maintain their relationship while he was playing baseball and she was filming elsewhere. Berry has stated publicly that she was so depressed after her breakup with Justice that she considered taking her own life, but she could not bear the thought of her mother finding her body. They separated in 1996 and their divorce was finalized in 1997. 

Then she was married to R&B musician Eric Benét. They met in 1997 and married in early 2001 on a beach in Santa Barbara. Berry credited Benét with support after she was involved in a February 2000 traffic collision, in which she suffered a concussion and left the scene of the accident before the police arrived. Some in the media complained that her misdemeanor hit and run charge was preferential treatment; she had also been the driver in an alleged hit and run incident three years earlier in which no charges were filed. The incident became fodder for comedians. Berry pled no contest, did community service, paid a fine and was placed on three years' probation. A civil lawsuit was settled out of court. separated in 2003. After the separation, Berry stated, "I want love, and I will find it, hopefully." While married to Benét, Berry adopted his daughter, India. The divorce was finalized in January 2005.
Divorced from baseball player David Justice and musician Eric Benét, Berry dated French-Canadian model Gabriel Aubry from November 2005, through April, 2010. Their daughter, Nahla Ariela Aubry, was born on March 16, 2008.
Berry has been a victim of domestic violence, and now works to help other victims. In 2005, she said, "Domestic violence is something I've known about since I was a child. My mother was a victim of it. Early on in my life I made choices, and I chose men that were abusive because that was what I knew growing up...First time it happened, I knew enough to keep moving."
Her friends rallied to support Berry--her mother even flew to Los Angeles to be with her. But she still had self-doubts and thoughts of suicide. Berry even made an attempt by getting in her car to inhale toxic fumes, but she recalled to Ebony, "somewhere in my heart, I think I knew I didn't really want to end my life. I just wanted to end the pain."
Berry entered therapy and threw herself into her work. Her next film, B.A.P.S., was a comedy directed by Robert Townsend. She described to Ebony how working on this film helped her heal, "It's a comedy, and I wasn't very funny, so I wasn't confident that I would be able to be in that space. But it turned out to be therapeutic. I could laugh and be silly and let go of all that negative energy."

No comments:

Post a Comment